Pages

Cool Social Media Sharing Touch Me Widget by Beautiful Blogger Widgets

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

10 Days of Homeschooling with Diabetes - part 1 Daily routines

Pin It



Life with diabetes can be a daily struggle.  Every day I am either kind-of tired, tired, really tired, or flat out exhausted.  Over my 12 years with diabetes I have learned that there are things that I can do and things that I can not do. Follow along as I share some time saving tips for homeschooling with diabetes.

First up are DAILY ROUTINES!
Having diabetes requires daily maintenance.  I have had diabetes for 12 years and during that time I have had four children!  Keeping track of them and keeping track of my medication can be a daunting challenge. Sometimes diabetes can affect your short term memory and having four kids definitely does. Without a consistent routine I often forget what medicine I took or when I took it! Obviously this is not helpful.

What does this have to do with homeschool you ask? Routines are also important to make your day run smoothly. For a long time I was forgetting to take my medication or check my blood sugar in the mornings because I was constantly reprimanding my older children about things we do every day.  Things you do every day should become routine!  When I realized this I knew I needed to come up with a way to help them get their tasks done without forgetting my own.  Enter the Chart.


For my two older sons I made a list of things that they needed to do each day. Then I had them choose their own clip art and made "everlasting stickers" for them by attaching the circles to cardboard and laminating them. Then I attached velcro to the chart and to the stickers. Every school day before we begin we work our charts. Even my two year old can name the different activities on her chart and we do them together.  



This is a great help to me because it is one less thing that I have to micro-manage and I am able to save my energy for more important things like making breakfast! 

I will detail how I made the charts in a future post. Stay tuned for my next post in the series "10 Days of Homeschooling with Diabetes".

Be blessed,

Casandra


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful!! Well said and organized to the Glory of God. You have encouraged me to get it together because my group comes back August 8. Please pray for my 3 children as my Goal is to teach them Gods Word and hide it in those little hearts. Not to mention the 3 babies!! Love you so much!! You really Bless my heart through Ministry Mommy. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,wow! I did not know that you homeschooled. Do you need any books? I have a ton for little ones. I can mail it to you. -Karen

    ReplyDelete