Pages

Cool Social Media Sharing Touch Me Widget by Beautiful Blogger Widgets

Friday, September 5, 2014

There and back again...

Pin It Well...
It's been more than a year since my last post, and I could spend days recounting what has happened between now and then, but time is of the essence...so a quick update is all I´m going to give.

My husband and I are still missionaries in the mountains of Peru, and we thank God for the opportunities we have to share His Word each day.  Our main focus here is working with a Baptist Seminary and leading a discipleship program in the local church.  I have a class of about six ladies who meet faithfully on Thursday nights to study the Bible together.  With three little ones of my own and about four others from the other ladies that can become quite a challenging task, but with God's help they are growing in their knowledge of Him and that's what it's all about!

This week I started co-hosting a Bible study on Esther from www.lovegodgreatly.com or www.amaadiosgrandemente.com in Spanish.  I disbanded my English speaking group long ago due to lack of interest, but my spanish study group has soared to almost 50 ladies!  Needless to say I was stunned at the amount of interest and thrilled at the same time.  My goal is to give a weekly update here on what we are learning together.  Here is the recap for week 1.

Esther chapter 1
In the first chapter of Esther we see Vashti's story unravel as Esther's begins to unfold.  Several of the
devotional texts that we looked at in our study focused on the difference between the fool and the wise (or prudent).  Both the king and Vashti were unwise in the decisions that they made.  He was focused on displaying his own wealth and power and after 6 months of partying and lifting himself up it was infuriating for his wife to refuse his command to come and be shown off as one of his prize possessions.  Vashti was also in the midst of her own party with the ladies when she refused to honor her husband's request.  The twin monsters of pride and selfishness are obviously evident in this bird's eye view of palace life, but the story is not so unlike our lives today.

It is so easy to get caught up in ourselves.  What makes me happy?  What can I do to feel good about myself today?  How will I respond/react when others don't do what I want, when I want it?  How often do I respond without thinking, without considering the other person, without seeking Biblical counsel?  Am I a respectful wife to my husband or am I trying to make myself look good in the eyes of others while putting him down?  

No, I am not a queen of Persia.  Ha!  Far from it!  And my husband is not the king of 127 provinces, but it only takes a moment of disrespect to offend him, and the consequences can have a lasting effect on the harmony of our home.

May God's wisdom be the go-to foundation for my daily decisions and yours!

Be blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment